Sorry ahead of time if this seems jumbled...I'm still not okay with it all!
Tonight at about 7:00 pm, I got a call from a teacher that I work with, my friend Kathy, who said that my classroom was on fire! I was hysterically asking her so many questions, I am sure many repetitive ones, trying to wrap my head around the fact that 5 years of my life could be in flames! After being on the phone for about an hour with the other three 5th grade teacher that I work with, I was told that the fire started in a room two down from mine. The problem is that all of our classrooms are conjoined in a "u" shaped pod. From what I understand now, it was an attic fire that consumed the roof of my friend Stefanie's classroom and that my room is undetermined :( As of right now I am told that it has sustained water and smoke damage!
I am so sad that today, just at 3, Joe and I went up to my classroom to drop off a book shelf that he just finished making me...along with all the program supplies that I received from the two summer programs that I attended, at least $1000 in materials...not to mention the 5 years that I have accumulated supplies, materials, resources, books, student library...I can't even begin to tally what I might have lost...so sad. I'm beside myself. I am grateful that no one was hurt and that all those material things can be replaced...but just hard to cope with right now.
Here is a link to what Press Enterprise had reported on as of now. They were there trying to get comments from the teachers, but they wouldn't talk...I will know more tomorrow, buy a newspaper and go to my school.
http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/news/digest/2008/08/fire-damages-riverside-school.html

How scary! I hope that your new shelf and your supplies are okay. Thank goodness there was no staff or children there when it happened.
ReplyDelete