So after being motivated by Genn's blog a few months back, I decided to start making some dinners that I can freeze for pulling out when Travis comes. Most meals that I make are enough for 8 it seems like, so tonight I made my favorite Turkey Shepherd's Pie and split it, some for tonight and then some to freeze for later!
This is one of my favorite Rachael Ray recipes, but I modify it just a bit:
Ingredients:
Coarse salt
2 packages instant potatoes
2 tablespoons EVOO
1 package ground turkey
paprika
thyme
1 medium onion chopped
2 handfuls shredded carrots
3 celery ribs chopped
1 small bell pepper chopped
2 heaping tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken broth or stock
1/2 cup sour cream
chives chopped or snipped
Directions:
In a deep, large skillet over medium-high heat cook turkey breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Season the turkey with salt, pepper, paprika, and thyme. When the turkey is browned, add the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the red bell peppers and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the stock and combine. Stir in 1/2 cup of sour cream and simmer the mixture over low heat.
Preheat the broiler to high (I just put the oven on highest heat)
While the turkey mixture is simmering, make the instant potatoes according to package directions.
Using an oven safe glass dish, pour turkey mixture in the bottom of the dish and spread evenly. Add the potatoes over the top. Sprinkle with paprika for color. Bake till potatoes are a little toasted. Sprinkle chives on top and serve!
***The original recipe calls for real potatoes, but I go the easy route as much as possible! It also calls for fresh thyme and smoked paprika available in small cans on all the spice aisles, but again I cheat and it is just a delicious. One more modification that I made is when you add the bell pepper you are supposed to add peas, but I don't...not a huge fan, however Sammy is so I might have to start adding them! ***
It is so pretty and colorful!
So now for the HELP part...does anyone have some yummy recipes that they could email me that are your favorites and would be good for freezing? I am already stalking Genn's blog with all her yummy recipes, but I am ALL for having stuff made and ready when I have 4 mouths to feed!!!
Thanks so much for your HELP!

I did that before I had Ethan and I was so glad. I like to freeze enchiladas, soups, and casseroles. I'll look through my recipe book and email you a few of my favorites.
ReplyDeleteok i love this recipe of rachaels but the one time i made it i made real potatoes and i was too tired to ever make it again. HELLO!!! i never thought of the instant potatoes! gosh! smart! ok and i have a question...how do you cook a meal that is out of the freezer like that? i have never heard of freezing meals. HOW COOL!
ReplyDeleteYeah, the instant potatoes are SO much easier and already have TONS of flavor!!! And,well everything is all cooked so I assuming that you just take it out and let it thaw and then reheat it? Genn, Jessica, is that what you do?
ReplyDeleteYes Tawny, just take the meal out of the freezer that morning, and reheat or bake in oven however long the recipe calls for.
ReplyDeleteA good one to freeze is Sandra Lee's lasagna recipe. I substitute the beef for turkey, but I think you have that same cookbook as I do with that recipe in it.
Soups are easy to freeze too.
I also froze some really easy porcupine meatballs if you want that recipe I can email it to you. And one night Jake and I put Hannah to bed and made enchiladas. It was really fun and we had one tray for now and 3 trays for later.
Have fun cooking and freezing! You'll be SO glad you did this.
looks yummy!!!
ReplyDeleteok...so i am guessing you leave it out on the counter all day? not in the fridge right? sorry i need a LOT of direction in this area...im cooking challenged.
ReplyDeleteI will email you some too. I did this before Madyson arrived and it was SO helpful!
ReplyDelete