
Everyone always posts such good recipes, I normally just cook those! I actually happen to have some good recipes for authentic Mexican food...so I thought I'd share! A dear friend of mine that I work with cooks the best food so I always bug her for the recipes...so really I can't even claim these as my own!
Flour Tortillas
- 6 C (Heaping) sifted flour (also keep about 1 extra cup of flour on the side)
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 C hot water (from faucet)
- Heat a griddle or skillet on high while making tortillas
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Make a concave hole in the middle
- Add hot water and oil and gradually work into flour with your hands until all mixed.
- Put lid or cover bowl and let stand for 5-10 minutes (I usually put it next to the stove where the Griddle is heating up)
- Divide dough into golf sized balls
- Dip into a small bowl of flour when needed
- Roll each ball into a flat 6-8 inch diameter.
- Directly after rolling out a ball put it onto the griddle.
- Grill until tortilla bubbles, then flip
- Place tortillas in a cotton cloth or a tortilla warmer
- When cooled they can be stored in a gallon sized freezer bag
- They stay good in the fridge for about a week and the freezer for about 2 months!
Carnitas
- chili powder
- oregano
- cumin
- salt
- pepper
- pork shoulder
- garlic
- onions sliced
- Rub dry ingredients all over pork
- In an oven bag, place garlic and onion on the bottom
- Lay pork on top
- Slow cook in the oven for 3 hours at 250..until pork falls off of the bone!
Mexican Rice
- 2 C long grain rice
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 medium brown onion (large slices)
- 1 8oz can of tomato sauce
- 2 cubes chicken bullion (from the Mexican aisle)
- 4 1/4 C water
- In a medium sauce pan, saute rice, garlic and onion over medium hear for about 5 minutes or until brown.
- Mash up the chicken bullion cubes in the rice
- Poor in water and tomato sauce, bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low
- Cook for 20-25 minutes and DON'T OPEN!!!
Beans
- 2 lbs dry pinto beans
- 3 qt or 12 C water
- 3 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- Soak bean overnight or boil for 15 minutes in a large pot
- Drain liquid from beans and replace with 12 cups of fresh water
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 3 hours
- Add more water if necessary while beans are cooking
- Add rest of ingredients and continue to simmer from 30 more minutes until beans are very tender

Thanks for posting those yummy recipes! I am going to try the spanish rice! I just made some with the lime chicken tacos I made, and I was not crazy about how the rice turned out. Your recipe is a little different and I can't wait to try it.
ReplyDeleteIf that is the recipe you used a few years ago when you lived on our street and we came over one night, I remember it being delicous!
Wow.... that sounds yummy! You made ALL of that in one day? I'm super impressed!
ReplyDeleteim just like jessica...SUPER impressed! is that your pic on the top of the food? WOW. i cannot wait to make this food! you and jessica both are posting GREAT recipes!
ReplyDeleteWow Tawny! I am impressed!!!
ReplyDeletek for the anal folks out there... ( you know what I mean-but this time its my husband) on the carnitas...how much of the spices do you use? you dont have measurements!! argh!
ReplyDeleteSo, I showed Todd what you made and he said, "How come she has time to make that kinda stuff and you don't?" NICE!! Looks great!
ReplyDelete