Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lovely Day

For starters, today has been a much better day.
Little Man is much happier!

Maybe yesterday was a little of me too?
I stopped nursing/pumping last week (tear) and so now there are NO excuses of what I am eating.
Before I could always justify my bad eating habits because of nursing (and always being hungry anyway), but now, no excuses.
So I've been consciously making efforts to eat less sugar and just plain crap. Well I love eating that stuff, so I think that was what I really needed but didn't eat yesterday!
Anyway, better day!


We don't have a very big backyard. It's really not a yard at all. It's just a patio. When we moved here we put in some new plants and cleaned it up a bit.
But overtime it just became a mess.
Busy people=neglected yard.

Well....NOT ANYMORE!!!
(I'm almost embarrassed to show the before!)


BEFORE

We bought this patio set at a fantastic price, that I actually really loved. But as you can see it took up our entire space in the back.


The ferns had taken over and the Creeping Fig we planted never crept.
So, my dearest brother came over one day while we were working and yanked it ALL out!!!

AFTER


Ahhhhh, a wonderful extension to the home now! (I heard that on Oprah!)



My Handyman installed a wonderful drip system so that the back doesn't get flooded and everything gets watered.
If it were up to me to go out an do it everyday, they'd die.



Our city gives out free shade trees each Spring on the electric bill and so for the last 4 years we have gotten a fruit bearing tree.
We have Leo the Lime Tree, Letty the Lemon Tree, Ollie the Orange Tree, as well as Alan and Apple the Avocado Trees.
Pretty weird we name our plants right?
Oh and our Gardenia plant, her name is Gerdie!

So here are the details that I'm SO excited to share!

The rugs-two of them on clearance at $20 total
The furniture-$0 (well, we sold the patio set on Craigs List for $220 and then bought the "Conversation Set" as they call it, for the SAME PRICE!!! SCORE!)
New flowers, pots, drip system-$60

I am now on the hunt for the personal touches...I want to take off the rot iron star and put my Handyman to work on my next idea. Need a tray and candles for the table and some more pillows. Also need a deck box for the kids toys...all in time-trying to be patient!

23 comments:

  1. i LOVE it! I have been waiting to see the pics! You are so lucky!!! Is this what is outside of your kitchen? I would have never guessed it! What a transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The backyard came out awesome! We just got the same patio conversation set this weekend as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! this is indeed a beautiful extension of your home! what a bargain... the space really looks incredible. the conversation set looks like the perfect amount of furniture for the space. the drip system rocks! i love how your city gives out free shade trees - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this new and beautiful extension of your home! It makes me want to grab my book and an iced tea, and get cozy on that conversation set! It looks very cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wonderful....what a fun and homey place to relax!! I'd love to sit out there on a nice evening!!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So what time is the BBQ? It looks awesome, see all your hard work paid off! Glad you are having a better day, you are entitled to a few bad ones!~ You have earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tawney, I just came across your lovely blog! Your patio turned out beautifully. It looks so inviting and warm. I can't believe that you got that wonderful furniture for the same price that you sold your old furniture! It is so chic! I noticed the little swing! You really placed things so nicely.
    It was so nice to meet you tonight.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh tawny! it looks so fresh for spring. just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the redo!! So cozy and comfortable now! I have no green thumb, the plants next to my sink tend to die on me even if I water them everyday. Sigh.

    Your backyard looks perfect! So fresh and new, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love it! it makes me realize how much my house and backyard need finishing touches!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That looks so good. It does look very inviting and cozy. And what great deals you guys got :) It was good seeing you last night. Sammy and that adorable personality...she is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! It looks great! I am doing a little blog hopping today and so glad I hopped on yours!!!

    http://housequeen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a difference ;D I love all the new touches and I am sure you all appreciate the added room. It seems much more functional. Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your backyard looks awesome! So... comfy and inviting! Great job...
    Oh... and I'm with you on BF thing. It's so hard to stop and sad in a way. Baby Ella was almost 15m before she stopped! Not sure if it was more her or me... but it was just really hard. :)
    Good luck!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad your day went better! Your backyard looks great! Makes me feel like I need to do something with mine :(.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it!!
    Glad your little man is feeling better! ;)
    Love your plant names!!
    here in WA my "hardy Gardenia" is not so hardy... sigh.. I love them!! I wish I could grow a happy one! =)
    I guess I gotta move to Cally!

    ReplyDelete
  17. okay...I love your "backyard" redo! I am jealous that you get free trees...I just read your last post! I am totallys stealing some of your ideas! The banner on the highchair for one. The clothes pin with his picture for 2 and I love the mason jar idea but I need to come up with something else to put in it! Okay so I am stealing most of your ideas ; ).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I love it! I just found your blog and I'm coming back! Have you been to younghouselove.com ? It has a lot of great ideas and before and afters! My little one has been very distracted during nursing so I cut it off yesterday and it IS bittersweet. I wanted to go one year, she's almost 11 months, and she basically self weened. Awe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the re-do, what a great spot to sit and relax at night after the kids go to bed. Love a bargain make-over like that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a sweet outdoor sanctuary! It looks like HGTV out there, girl. Nice job. Can I come over and nuzzle up in that soft chair? So cozy and I love all your planting. Green, lush, yummmmmmmm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a difference! Nice work. We have a small little backyard, but you are motivating me to spruce it up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, looks ah-mazing! What time can you be over to work on my back deck?! Haha! Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Great job :) It looks much more usable now :) Plus, you did it for such a low price... so awesome!

    Your plant names crack me up :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...