The other day Sammy and I were having a conversation about getting a pet. I would LOVE to have a dog, but it's just not practical.
Our house is too small.
We are unfortunately one of those families that bought at the WRONG time and are now in a situation of being STUCK.
I dwell on the fact that our house is small, we have a patio not really a backyard, our kids share a room, I can't comfortably entertain like I want to, I barely have a pantry, I had to build a closet into shelving for pots and pans, I have no room for my crafty things...should I continue?
I cry with frustration sometimes thinking about how hard I (we) work and how much time I miss with my kids and don't even have a house that I love.
But
A 2 year old mind can put things into perspective.
When talking about getting a dog, I told Sammy our house is too small. It wouldn't have a place to pay outside.
She says, "but Mommy I play outside, there's room for me."
She's right, she does.
I then said, "but we can't leave to dog outside and our house is too small inside for an animal.
She says, "but Mommy, our house is humongous".
She's right, it is.
It is huge to her.
She and T know nothing different.
They don't see the negative in things, they see things they love.
They love their toys (which they have far too many of), they love their bath, they love their swing in the backyard, they love sharing a room, they love having dance parties at 5:00 in the morning instead of sleeping.
They will remember chalk race tracks, slip n sliding, sprinklers, a HUGE room ( they really do have a huge room) with their own bathroom.
They will remember that they are loved and have MANY pictures to look back on.
So that little 2 year old who told me our house was humongous put things into perspective!
We have a home-not just a house.
We have nice things.
More importantly we have things that are not tangible that mean far more.
I appreciate that little mind of hers...and ONE day they'll have a nice, big backyard with a dog of their own!

thanks for that post, we are in the same situation...we moved into this house after having a big one and now we feel like we are stuck...but you are so right, the kids never notice how small our house, they just know that its home and even though I complain about it they only have good things to say :)
ReplyDeletegreat post I'm sure you have given some perspective to a lot of people
I love how kids manage to do that for us...put things into perspective. Enjoy your weekend, friend!!
ReplyDeleteI hear you! If I could sell right now I soo would have like yesterday! It does help to keep a good perspective! I really am blessed beyond measure. Love kids and their positive spirits! Shoot I say hold off on the dog as long as possible! It just adds to the cleaning list! although I really do love dogs as family pets and they are so sweet and cute...
ReplyDeleteAwww..Tawny I love this post. It is so true. I think we put such high pressure on ourselves to give our kids every"thing" we think they need and in reality the only "things" they need aren't truly things at all! Great post!
ReplyDeleteAhh, I think you're right about having a home (not just a house) and the things that matter in life. Kids don't know... they love everything they have. And I love your house and Sammy and Travis do share a huge room (pretty sure it's bigger than my master bedroom :))
ReplyDeleteI LOVE how kids put things in perspective for you sometimes. They are so sweet, and such happy positive little people. I love Sammy's answers to your response for why it's a no on the dog.
ReplyDeleteAnd you are so right about having a "home" not just a house. You could have the biggest house you could imagine, but it's possible that it wouldn't be a "home"... just a house.
Sorry you've been in a weird funk. I hope it leaves ya soon. Maybe a girls night might help?
Ok, can I get a little lame and say home is where the heart is...I think I saw that hanging in Lori's Cafe. I can get it for you! (I do believe it though) Your kids are lucky to have a you as their mom! I kinda feel like a slacker when I hear, read, and see all the fantastic stuff S and T are doing! Sorry you're in a funk, I am sure work has something to do with it. I'll get in a funk so we can be funky together! Hope you defunkify soon. See you Monday funkmaster! We'll get our march on and maybe that will make you feel better? I hope some of this makes you laugh!
ReplyDeleteOK... all I can say to that post is WOW... what wonderful words you wrote, and how incredibly they touched me.. My struggle may not be the size of my house, or the size of my dog 140lbs... but it reminded me that we ALL are having struggles and it just put a HUGE smile on my face thinking of your little angle put it into WHAT REALLY MATTERS.. A BIG humungous thankyou from me.
ReplyDeleteStaci
I love it when our kids remind us how it is possible to be happy with the simple things in life! ;) We bought at the wrong time too... and have lost equity instead of gained.... grrr... you are not alone... I battle those feelings too... but I try... to find happiness in the simple!! ;)
ReplyDeleteJust Jenn~
such an honest post, tawny. and much appreciated. you learned a valuable lesson today from a three year-old. when it comes right down to it, kids don't see the faults of their home or their parents. they just see love. your home might not be the one you want right now, but it's what you have. your kids will remember that you made that house a home. that's huge.
ReplyDeleteTawny that was a sweet post. We all go through those feelings. It is so tempting to wish for things we don't have, but always nice to be reminded of all we do, in the ways of blessings. I wish I could remember this little saying, it was about growing up in a small home...but something like, the smaller our home, the closer we grow together.....
ReplyDeleteHappy Saturday!
Its me again...
ReplyDeleteforgot to say - a while back, on Oprah she did a show about the happiest people in the world live in Switzerland. She wanted to find out what makes them so happy, and when she went there, she discovered that most of them live in a similar fashion. They had very very small homes, not a lot of things, and believed that this made their families closer.
Their motto is "Less space, Less stuff, More life."
Kinda cool when you think about it.
How is it that kids often are so much smarter than us?! They see things through their heart... we could all take that as a wonderful lesson.
ReplyDelete~Jennifer
now that's the way to think! we should all think so innocently! kids are awesome. and your kids are loved. and although ive never seen your house, jason told me you have it decorated so nice, and it was SO clean the night he went over. so who cares how big it is... it's the love thats shared inside that counts.
ReplyDeleteOh man, I thought I commented on this one! This was such a good post Tawny. I agree with Kelly, it's the love that is shared inside your HOME that counts! I'm sure one day soon you'll be able to sell and buy again. I'm so grateful that Tim and I bought when we did. I feel so bad for all of the people that bought when you did. It has to be hard to feel stuck. Your kids are lucky to have a Mom that cares so much. Seriously, you are someone that inspires!
ReplyDeleteOh that is so sweet what she said! So true too!!~ She needs a little pug puppy, they are so cute!
ReplyDeleteAhhhhh, I love your honesty. I think contentment is a daily struggle sometimes, and one we have to choose.
ReplyDeleteDon't you just love fresh perspective from your children? I grew up in a small house, and all I remember are the happy times we had there :)
We have a house, so I feel bad even saying I've felt the same way, but I have. I've longed for a house that my kids can have their own bedroom.
One of these days you guys will get your bigger house. Until then keep up that awesome perspective :)